The College Division of the Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program supports diverse and underrepresented college students who are committed to bringing their unique voice to the legal field. The Sotomayor Program’s College Division includes (1) an LSAT boot camp to focus the college students on the best law school to which they can gain entry, (2) rigorous academic, professional, and personal programming from legal research and writing to professional branding, wellness coaching, and soft skill trainings, and (3) our signature judicial internship experience to provide practical experience and mentorship opportunities. Our hope is to provide college students with the skills and resources necessary to successfully apply to law school and become a practicing attorney.
For our Summer 2021 program, the SCS JIP College program will run for 8 weeks on a full-time basis and include a 4-week judicial internship and a 4-week LSAT Prep program. Due to COVID-19 concerns, some portion or all aspects of the internship may be held in a virtual format.
The SCS JIP selects college students who bring a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and talents. It is open to current college juniors and seniors who possess the following qualifications/experiences:
- Current status as a college junior or senior in good standing, as demonstrated by a transcript;
- Committed to taking the LSAT in Fall 2021 and applying to law school by the conclusion of the 2021–22 or 2022–23 application cycle;
- Demonstrated ability to think and communicate clearly;
- Ability to work closely with others as part of a team;
- Capacity to undertake a variety of tasks simultaneously and a willingness to perform administrative tasks when necessary;
- Trustworthiness, discretion, maturity, and good judgment;
- Ability to work independently and with little supervision;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity; and
- Prior research experience and course work on constitutional law or the court system is preferred but not required.
- Writing Sample (no more than 10 pages)
- Personal Statement (500 word essay outlining your understanding of SCS JIP’s mission, how you fit it, and why you want to help us achieve it)
- Transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Letters of Recommendation (Optional)
- January 20, 2021: Application opens - Click here for Application
- February 17, 2021: Early Application Deadline
- February–April 2021: Rolling Interviews
- May 22, 2021: Orientation
- June 2021: Judicial Internship
- July 2021: LSAT Bootcamp
- Fall 2021: Crush the LSAT!