“We must not pretend that the countless people who are routinely targeted by police are 'isolated.' They are the canaries in the coal mine whose deaths, civil and literal, warn us that no one can breathe in this atmosphere. They are the ones who recognize that unlawful police stops corrode all our civil liberties and threaten all our lives. Until their voices matter too, our justice system will continue to be anything but.” - Justice Sonia Sotomayor, dissenting in Utah v. Strieff
The Sotomayor Internship Program Issued - Statement on Recent Events - June 6, 2020
Who are we? The Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program (SCSJIP) seeks to cultivate and develop future leaders by placing high school and law school students from underserved communities and diverse backgrounds in judicial internships in state and federal courts in the NYC area.
How do we make a difference? For the interns placed with SCS JIP, the opportunities that come with the program are endless. In addition to attending various structure activities, such as observing court proceedings and participating in education workshops, our interns are provided direct access to some of the nation’s preeminent legal minds who practice law at the highest levels – something that students from underserved communities are infrequently exposed to.
Why should you give? Because opportunities such as these are extremely limited, we engage in a thoughtful and deliberate process to ensure that the students who are selected are in the best position to maximize the experience. However, because this is an unpaid internship, many of the students that are best suited for the opportunity are not in a position to forego a paying job for the summer regardless of how promising the opportunity may be. Your contribution allows SCSJIP to provide our interns with a stipend that defrays the opportunity cost associated with participating in an unpaid internship.
The Sonia and Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent permitted by law. No goods or services will be provided in exchange for your financial donation.
HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
- Monday, November 25, 2019 – High School Division Application Opens
- Friday, February 14, 2020 – Deadline to Apply to High School Division
- Monday, March 23 to Tuesday, April 7, 2020 – High School Division Interviews (Note: Only those candidates selected to advance will be interviewed)
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 – SCS JIP Orientation in Manhattan
- Monday, July 6 to Friday, July 31, 2020 – High School Division Internship
LAW SCHOOL DIVISION
- November 15, 2019 - Law School Intern Application Opens
- December 27, 2019 - Law School Interns Early Decision Application Deadline - Click Here for the Application
- January 17 - 18, 2020 - Law School Intern Early Decision Interviews (Note: Only those candidates selected to advance will be interviewed)
- February 1, 2020 - Law School Intern Application FINAL Deadline
- February 21-22, 2020 - Law School Intern Interviews (Note: Only those candidates selected to advance will be interviewed)
- May 16, 2020 - Law School Intern Orientation
- May/June 2020 - July/August 2020 - Law School Program
Reach out to us to apply to our programs or to sponsor our students.